F2007-18 Nine Career Fire Fighters Die in Rapid Fire Progression at Commercial Furniture Showroom – South Carolina

On June 18, 2007, nine career fire fighters (all males, ages 27 – 56) died when they became disoriented and ran out of air in rapidly deteriorating conditions inside a burning commercial furniture showroom and warehouse facility. The first arriving engine company found a rapidly growing fire at the enclosed loading dock connecting the showroom to the warehouse. The Assistant Chief entered the main showroom entrance at the front of the structure but did not find any signs of fire or smoke in the main showroom.

F2011-13 A Career Lieutenant and Fire Fighter/Paramedic Die in a Hillside Residential House Fire – California

On June 02, 2011, a 48 year-old career lieutenant and a 53 year-old fire fighter/paramedic died in a multi-level residential structure fire while searching for the seat of the fire. Note: The residential structure where the fatalities occurred was built on a significantly sloped hillside common throughout the city. The fire floor was one floor below street level. Six companies and three command chiefs were dispatched to a report of an electrical fire at a residential home. When Engine 26, staffed with a lieutenant, fire fighter/paramedic (the victims), and driver arrived at approximately 1048 hours, they noticed light smoke showing as they made entry through the front door, side A, street level, of the building. Minutes later, the incident commander (IC) tried contacting them over the radio, but received no response. A battalion chief (BC) assigned to "the fire attack group" followed the hoseline through the door and spoke to the victims on the street level floor. The lieutenant stated to the BC that the fire must be a floor below them. The BC stated they would attack the fire from the side B of the structure and exited the front door. The victims did not follow. A few minutes later the IC again tried to contact Engine 26 via radio with no response.

F2007-12 Career Fire Fighter Dies in Wind Driven Residential Structure Fire – Virginia

On April 16, 2007, a 24-year-old male career fire fighter (the victim) was fatally injured while trapped in the master bedroom during a wind-driven residential structure fire. At 0603 hours, dispatch reported a single family house fire. At 0609 hours, the victim's ladder truck was second to arrive on scene. Fire was visible at the back exterior corner of the residence. Noticing cars in the driveway, no one outside, and no lights visible in the house, the lieutenant from the first arriving engine called in a second alarm. A charged 2 ½" hoseline was stretched to the front door by the first arriving engine crew. The engine crew stayed at the door with the attack line while the cause of poor water pressure in the hoseline was determined. The victim and his lieutenant, wearing their SCBA, entered the residence through the unlocked front door. With light smoke showing, they walked up the stairs to check the bedrooms. The victim and lieutenant cleared the top of the stairs and went straight into the master bedroom. With smoke beginning to show at ceiling level, the victim did a right-hand search while the lieutenant with thermal imaging camera (TIC) in-hand checked the bed. Suddenly the room turned black then orange with flames. The lieutenant yelled to the victim to get out. While verbal communication among the crew was maintained, the lieutenant found the doorway and moved toward the stairs. He ended up falling down the stairs to a curve located midway in the staircase. The lieutenant tried to direct the victim to the stairs verbally and with a flashlight. As the wind gusted up to 48 miles per hour, the wind-driven fire and smoke engulfed the residence. The incident commander (IC) ordered an evacuation and the lieutenant was brought outside by the engine and rescue company crews. The ladder truck lieutenant received burns on his ears and right index finger. At 0614 hours, the rescue company officer issued a Mayday followed by the victim's Mayday. With protection from hose lines, several attempts were made by the engine and rescue company crews to reach the second floor. On the third attempt the stair landing was reached but the ceiling started collapsing and flames intensified. At 0621 hours, due to the intensity of the fire throughout the structure, all fire fighters were evacuated, operations turned defensive, but the incident continued in rescue mode. At 0657 hours, the victim was found in the master bedroom partially on a couch underneath the front windows.

Two Career Fire Fighters Die in a Rapid Fire Progression While Searching for Tenants—Ohio

On January 26, 2014, a 42-year-old male career fire fighter/EMT-B and a 31-year-old male career fire fighter/EMT-B died in a two-story attached garage apartment fire. Four engines, one truck, one rescue, and a battalion chief were initially dispatched to a structure fire with reported people inside the building. Battalion Chief 1 reported smoke showing from two blocks away. Engine 3 was first on-scene followed by Battalion Chief 1. Battalion Chief 1 assumed command and assigned Engine 3 who had parked in front of the building (Side Alpha) as Fire Attack. Engine 13 and Rescue 13 had arrived on-scene next and were assigned as Search and Back-up, respectively. Engine 6 arrived on scene and parked in the rear parking lot on Side Charlie. Engine 6 was assigned to Fire Attack on Side Charlie. Truck 17 arrived on scene, pulled past Engine 3, and was ordered to open up the roof. Engine 17 was assigned as the rapid intervention team (RIT). The incident commander was informed by an occupant that all occupants were out of the structure but a dog was on the second floor. Engine 3 made entry through a second floor window and Engine 6 was at a second-floor doorway (on Side Delta). Both companies were advancing a 1¾-inch hoseline into the second-floor apartment. Battalion Chief 3 arrived on scene and reported heavy fire in the rear. Heavy, black smoke started coming out of the garage door and second floor window on Side Alpha. Engine 3 transmitted a Mayday. Ten seconds later, the officer of Engine 3 came out the second-floor doorway onto the landing and called another Mayday. Engine 7 arrived on scene and was assigned to assist the RIT in locating the two fire fighters from Engine 3. Engine 7 reported heavy heat conditions in the second-floor apartment while trying to search. The Engine 17
RIT found one of the fire fighters from Engine 3 and removed him through the side door (Side Delta) and down the stairs to Life Squad1 for treatment. The Engine 17 RIT had to change air cylinders while Engine 19 and the safety officer (officer from Engine 19) continued the search for the other fire fighter. The Engine 17 RIT had just re-entered the structure when the second fire fighter was found. Both fire fighters were transported to the hospital but died from their injuries.

F2009-23 Career Lieutenant Dies Following Floor Collapse into Basement Fire and a Career Fire Fighter Dies Attempting to Rescue the Career Lieutenant – New York

On August 24, 2009, a 45-year-old male career lieutenant (Victim #1) diedfollowing a p artial floor collapse into a basement fire, and a 34-year-old male career fire fighter (Victim #2) was fatally injured while attempting to rescue Victim #1. The career fire department was dispatched for "an alarm of fire" with reported civilian(s) entrapment. Arriving units discovered a heavily secured mixed commercial/residential structure with smoke showing. Following failed
initial attempts to locate an entry to the basement, crews located a door on Side 2 that provided access down a flight of stairs to a basement entry door. repeated attempts were made to force open this basement door in order to search for trapped civilians, but crews had difficulty gaining access
through this door because it was made of steel and locked and dead-bolted on both sides. Other crews on scene performed primary searches of the 1st and 2nd floors with no civilians found.

Go to top